Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Hop Rhizomes!

Old Growth got into the hop producing world today!

I got my 2 rhizomes today. I wanted to take a picture of them, but I forgot until after I planted them. Basically, they look like roots - about 5 inches long, half inch think.

I got 1 Magnum - which is a super awesome bittering hop - very high alpha acid content - 11.5. From Main Street: "A great bittering hop. This hop is from Germany and has a very low cohumulone level, which gives it a very clean, non-harsh bittering. Not recommended for flavoring or aroma."

I also got 1 Mt Hood - this will be a finishing or aroma hop: "A Hallertauer hybrid. This hop is bred to resemble true German Hallertauer (as opposed to American-grown Hallertauer). It has a strong floral characteristic and can be used in any beer where Hallertauer is called for."

I don't think you get anything the first year - the second year they are more established.

No comments: